Friday, January 27, 2012

Scrap Afghan

      My first afghan pattern!!! (Lots of exclamation marks today because my awesome husband bought a bag of conversation hearts for me so I am on a huge sugar rush!!!) So! My New Year's Resolution this year was to not buy any more yarn until I can fit my stash into one, just one, dresser. Right now I have it crammed into one dresser and five boxes... Not little boxes either!!! I am addicted to yarn. I can barely walk past the yarn aisle... So I have been crocheting like a madwoman!! And the first thing was to use up my little scraps of yarn that are too big to throw away and too little to use for a project.
      The problem I have with scraps is, I hate making granny squares. I hate sewing all of the little squares together and I hate crocheting the little squares together. So this is my solution:
  
       The Haywire Afghan.

Hook: I/9
Yarn: Medium Worsted
Size of finished afghan: 36" by 42" including trim.

Ch 145.
Row 1= Ch 2, 2 dc in third chain from hook, (sk 2 ch, sc in next ch, sk 5 ch, ch 5, sc in next ch, sk 2 ch, 5 dc in next ch) across, ending with sk 2 ch, 3 dc in last ch. Ch 1, turn.
Row 2= Sc in first dc, (sk 2 dc, sk sc, ch 5, sc over ch 5, sk sc, sk 2 dc, ch 5, sc in next dc) across, ending with sc in tch. Ch 5, turn.
Row 3= (Sc over ch 5, 5 dc in sc, sc over ch 5, sk sc, ch 5) across, ending with sc over ch 5, ch 2, dc in sc. Ch 1, turn.
Row 4= Sc in dc, (sk sc and 2 dc, ch 5, sc in next dc, sk 2 dc, sk sc, ch 5, sc over ch 5) across, ending with sc over tch. Ch 2, turn.
Row 5= 2 dc in sc, ( sc over ch 5, sk sc, ch 5, sc over ch 5, 5 dc in sc) across, ending with 3 dc in sc.
Row 6-40= Repeat rows 2 through 5.

Edging:
Rnd 1= sc around edges, working 3 sc in corners.
Rnd 2= Dc around edges, working 3 dc in corners.
Rnd 3= Starting at corner, *[ch 23, turn. In second ch from hook, dc three times, dc twice in each ch over next 20 ch, hdc], (4 sc, ch 15. In second ch from hook, dc three times. Dc twice in each ch over next 12 ch, hdc) repeat to next corner.* Repeat from * to * until edging is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment